The Brothers Grunt is a cartoon that aired on MTV in 1994 and was created by Danny Antonucci (who went on to make Ed, Edd, and Eddy.) The Brothers Grunt gained negative reviews and lasted only a year with 35 episodes.
The series centered on an ensemble cast of pale, rubbery, and constipated-looking humanoids with prominent varicose veins distantly related to human beings, all of them ostensibly male, wandering around in their underpants. Their main food staple is cheese; nevertheless, they are able to eat other foods and dishes. Their single parent is a giant, mute aquatic individual, called Primus Gruntus Maximus, to whom they are born as embryos inside skin warts, much in the way of the Surinam Toad. They live in a monastery in the wilderness. A group is formed, composed of most of the survivors of their species, in a quest to bring back one of their kind, Perry, who has abandoned his involuntary position of "Chosen One" (leader of their order) and is now living the "high life" among human beings (who seem to deal with the bizarre nature of the grunts by ignoring them and pretending everything is normal).
Why It Sucks
- Horrendous and grotesque animation.
- The Grunts mainly moan and squeal.
- Weird sound effects that sound like farm animals being strangled to death.
- No background music.
- Distorted theme song.
- Sometimes for no reason, It goes into a live action music video with the using scenes from the episode and the Grunts moaning (see section 2).
- Little to no story.
- Gross humor.
- Some scenes make no sense.
- Danny Antonucci, the creator of the show, learned his mistake from the show and went to create Ed, Edd n Eddy.