Teen Titans Go! is a 2013 animated TV series that airs on Cartoon Network, and serves as a reboot of the original Teen Titans show from 2003. The actors and actresses of the original reprise their roles.
Teen Titans Go! is an animated series that follows the adventures of the young Titans, residing in Jump City, when they are not saving the world while living together as teenagers without adults who intrude. Unlike most of the other superhero series, the situations are comic, crazy and parodic - for example, juvenile jokes that reach new heights of danger, obtaining the license to drive after destroying the Batmobile or washing the suits after staining them when fighting their enemies. The show regularly features characters who have appeared in the original series, albeit with reduced roles and/or exaggerated personalities. It also features greater attachment to the DC Universe at large, with more references to other characters in the Justice League, plus a few appearances by Batman and Commissioner Gordon in lighthearted moments.
The show is littered with in-jokes regarding the whole of DC's library, many of them in blink-and-miss moments, as well as numerous jokes at the expense of the show itself.
Why It Sucks
- Horrible animation and poor character designs compared to the original. The character designs are rather infantile and far from complex, as well as being disgraces to the chibi art style. Even fans of the chibi art style criticized them.
- Most episodes have very stupid and annoying plots, such as Starfire wanting to marry a pot of chili and Beast Boy and Cyborg having a competition on who can say the word "Waffles" the most. Some episodes also have really bland and misleading titles, such as "Dude, Relax", "I'm The Sauce", "Hey You, Don't Forget About Me in Your Memory" and "The Return of Slade".
- Many villains aren't much of a threat. Trigon, once an embodiment of evil in the comics and the original series, is portrayed as a sitcom dad rather than a demonic father like he was in the original show.
- Poor and false life lessons. For example: Cheating to win, boys are better than girls, and, worse of all, even claiming that watching a lot of TV makes your brain stronger.
- The show often takes up a very large portion of airtime on Cartoon Network, often enraging and/or boring the viewers. Speaking of this, it has also been shown more than a hundred times once in a week, and another a WHOPPING 300 TIMES, meaning 48.5 episodes a day for seven days. Due to this, it can also be considered an example of a show being adored by the network.
- The creators of the show have dismissed any criticism and made some episodes that mock the critics, such as The Return of Slade.
- Most of the characters' personalities in the show have been changed very badly;
- Robin is a complete, selfish jerk who cares only about himself.
- Starfire has a more child-like personality who often licks her beloved pet Silkie.
- Beast Boy is a couch potato who NEVER gets off his lazy green ass to do something simple.
- Cyborg is an annoying and obnoxious idiot.
- Raven, despite being the most likable out of the five, is a pegasister (which means a female fan of My Little Pony) depending on others' opinions on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- The humor is mostly forced, mainly consisting of incredibly awful jokes and toilet humor.
- It began the trend of bad reboots on not just Cartoon Network, but on other channels that have cartoon reboots, even the streaming site Netflix as well.
- The creators openly stated that they have never watched the original show, yet, it features characters from it.
- It is overly random and lots of things are out of place.
- Because of its low quality and the carelessness that the creators are putting working onto it, it can essentially be a 15 minute long It's Made For Kids excuse and also a big "SCREW YOU!!!" to the fans of the original series because of the lack of respect to the previous series' content and characterization.
- Waste of talented voice actors, such as Scott Menville and Tara Strong.
- Horrid dialogue.
- Poor soundtrack. Examples of this are the lackluster theme song and very weird and repetitive songs, such as "Waffles" and "I'm a Hot Pepper" from the episode "Spice Game".
- The show often insults many other franchises of every type among other stuff, like other DC and non-DC properties, as well as some movie franchises such as The Matrix, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, and Indiana Jones. One episode, Let's Get Serious, even insulted the Young Justice fanbase as well. In one episode they even insulted George Washington.
- No continuity.
- Lots of filler.
- The show became self-aware that it sucks and is proud of it.
- It lacks the dark, serious tone of the original cartoon due to the fact that it focuses more on humor than action.
- It is the epitome of mean-spirited.
- False advertising. The bumpers and advertisements say "Your New Favorite Show!", which is extremely obnoxious and false to say since it isn't well received by most people, and it is definitely false reception wise as the series has very low ratings on rating sites.
- Lots of animation errors.
- They like to ruin Xmas, like Santa kidnapping the Easter bunny. There also is an episode where they were Santa and broke into people's houses.
- The Titans in this show admitted that the original 2003 show is better, as seen in the episode "The Fourth Wall".
- Every now and then there is an episode that is actually good. "40%, 40%, 20%" and the 4 chapters of "The Night Begins to Shine" are examples.
- The voice acting is decent. The voice actors and actresses (Scott Menville, Hynden Walch, Khary Payton, Tara Strong and Greg Cipes) and most of the crew from the original series haven't changed.
- The character designs are still cute.
- Contains lesser-known corners of the DC canon.
Among internet reviewers, it has been mercilessly panned. YouTube reviewer Mr. Enter has been known to call the characters "The Toddler Titans" due to their immature personalities. The series has below average ratings both on TV.com and IMDb. It was ranked #1 on WatchMojo's Top 10 Worst Animated Superhero Shows video.