The 61st Academy Awards ceremony, organized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), honored the best films of 1988, and took place on Wednesday, March 29, 1989, at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, beginning at 6:00 p.m. PST/ 9:00 p.m. EST. During the ceremony, AMPAS presented Academy Awards (commonly referred to as Oscars) in 23 categories. The ceremony, televised in the United States by ABC, was produced by Allan Carr and directed by Jeff Margolis. Ten days earlier, in a ceremony held at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, the Academy Awards for Technical Achievement were presented by host Angie Dickinson. This awards ceremony is widely considered to be the worst one in the history of the Oscars, and for good reasons.
Rain Man won four awards, including Best Actor for Dustin Hoffman, Best Director for Barry Levinson, and Best Picture. Other winners included Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, with three competitive awards (and one Special Achievement Award); Dangerous Liaisons, with three awards; and The Accused, The Accidental Tourist, A Fish Called Wanda, The Appointments of Dennis Jennings, Beetlejuice, Bird, Hôtel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie, The Milagro Beanfield War, Mississippi Burning, Pelle the Conqueror, Tin Toy, Working Girl, and You Don't Have to Die with one each. The telecast garnered almost 43 million viewers in the United States.
Why It Sucked
- No host, since it took a break.
- The music is terrible as McDonald's Thanksgiving Parade.
- Poor use of Snow White's pairing, who is portrayed by Eileen Bowman.
- They also give Snow White a really irritating Minnie Mouse-like voice.
- Rob Lowe sings a parody of Proud Mary by Creedence Clearwater Revival, which is use for its awfulness.
- Also, the song that Snow White and Rob Lowe sing goes on for 12 Minutes; some people say that the song wouldn't be so bad if it had been at 4 minutes, but producer Allan Carr decided to make it go on for 12 minutes.
- This is basically the Academy Awards edition of The Star Wars Holiday Special.
- Great use of Winning Oscars.
- Rain Man won Best Picture Oscars.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Dangerous Liaisons won 3 awards.
- Allan Carr never got a producing job again either in film or television because of the infamous telecast featuring Snow White and Rob Lowe.